Tuesday 4 October 2011

Feet on Ice

Get dressed, board a C-17, six hours later all the ice I ever wanted and more.  The flight was like mixer.  I met some more interesting folks: helicopter mechanics, a carpenter from NZ, some seal taggers.  Apparently tagging seals is very similar to mugging, throw a bag over their head while your buddy jumps on them,a quick clip and done.  We landed on the ice shelf, nothing but snow and ice for miles.  The snow here is wrong, it has the consistency of Styrofoam and the strength of clay.  I was luck to arrive on a warm day -30 or so after wind chill.  The wind cuts right into you.  Blistex is awesome but I had mine in an outer pocket so its frozen, same for my camera, a few minutes in my coat and I can take pictures again.  I love my big stompy boots, my feet have yet to be cold!
  We hiked over the Ivan the "terra bus"and rolled off to town.  This place is an off-roaders dream.  Everything has either huge tires or treads.  The snowmobiles are calling my name.  I made it in time for dinner.  The food here is great.  Due to the large number of environmental scientists there are a lot of vegans and such.  The cafeteria carries soy milk and fresh veggies are a lot less rare that I thought.  All of the contractors for SRC stay in one dorm.  Jet lag wins this match and I fall asleep on the worlds thinnest pillow.  Fold it over twice and it does the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment