Sunday 23 October 2011

I got a job!

  I started work as an usher at the chapel yesterday.  Apparently I have an affinity for carrying plates and have secretly always wanted to be one.  Now that flight check is done I am able to relax and start to build a life down here.  Both of the weeknight Bible studies are going well also.  The provided questions stay pretty standard, either "goes without saying" or crushingly personal.  But, I'm getting to know the crowd so I can answer some personal ones.  I still hate talking about myself, is that a western stigma or could I have grown up around to many long talkers.  Either way, they are great last week we had four people come, if you include both chaplains!
  I am currently half asleep.  I work up at 12:57 just in time to miss lunch.  I like night shift, it's the perfect combo!  Leadership is asleep and the airfields are quiet enough to get some work done.  We have to level all of our equipment every day, some of it is checked three times.  The sea is is so shifty.  It is a great time to watch the sun try to rise and set.  It never gets dark but the sun does dissapear behind the mountians for a few hours.  I saw my first sundog today.  It's a circular rainbow around the sun.  There was only a little bit of ice in the air so only the smallest section showed up.  There is another odd thing here, when the conditions are right which is often it is called "flat light".  It removes all the definition from the snow and makes driving and walking difficult because you cannot see lumps or bumps.  Had a few humbling falls for sure...

1 comment:

  1. Good thing I trust that people down there know what they are doing or I would worry about your living on the ocean with only a bit of ice under you!

    ReplyDelete