Thursday 6 October 2011

To Pegasus!

More training today.  I'm getting used to the cold.  We headed out to Pegasus runway about 17k across the ice.  We took a mactrak, a ford f350 with tank treads for wheels.  It makes for a bumpy ride but its great to get out of the shop.  We are still working on opening the runway and leveling the snow.  We had to do some serious digging to find the bases for our antenna.  Some of the tie downs were down in the ice layer and took some chiseling to break free.  I'm loving my prescription sunglasses. I just wish I could wear by baklava without steaming them up.  Solutions will be found!
  I avoided sunburn only by luck.  My face was pretty beat up by the time I got back.  The conditions were great for fata morgana(ice mirages).  The exposed metal here steals heat through any number of layers.  Blistex has been moved to an inner pocket but still seems mostly frozen.  I think frozen will be the theme for this trip.  My skin is already feeling a bit more like a reptile then normal.  It's a harsh continent!

No comments:

Post a Comment