Tuesday 4 October 2011

Arrival in New Zealand

Charlotte to San Francisco to Auckland to Christchurch today.  Cross the dateline and poof you are in the future!  If anyone wants to know what happens tomorrow ask me because I am already there.  Christchurch is nice,  I'm staying at a hotel called the Commodore so you know its classy.  Enjoyed some local chowder, delicious and I could even identify all the bits of seafood mixed in.  New Zealand mussels are delicious.  I also sampled a spicy chili pasta that really burnt off the jet lag. 
The city is still recovering from a major earthquake and there are hourly aftershocks. It didn't feel right to play tourist so I hit the pup to watch the rugby world cup.  The national team is doing well and I think I might have found a sport that can hold my attention.  Imagine football but the clock does not stop or anything minor.  40 minutes of play takes about 45, not the last 5 minutes taking 30 to finish in football.  Play continues even as the medics attend to the fallen! I never thought I could be a sports fan but hey I might be growing as a person?
  I picked up all my gear for the ice.  I realize I may have over packed.  I chatted with some urchin scientists.  Apparently all of the CO2 is adjusting the pH of the oceans, more to follow on that. Tomorrow I fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment