Sunday 30 October 2011

Who burned the snow!

  "Happy Camper" was amazing.  We had three great instructors.  One, Julian was an outward bound instructor who's regular vocabulary include liberal use of words like, gnarly, burly, and such.  A guy like that can teach about anything and hold a crowd's attention.  So, good instructors, adventure commences!
  We rode in deltas out about halfway to the balloon launching facility.  By we I mean 20 assorted Mcmurdo staff.  Some Swedish fish and fossil scientists, some deep camp cooks, and some seal observers.  From there we hiked a few hundred yards to the I-hut.  The lovely heated hut where the instructors teach and sleep.  There I learned how to light the most finikey reliable camping stove on the market.  All you have to do it pressurize the white gas, let some pour all over the coil and light it.  Then when the gas comes though the coil next time it is heated and gaseous. As long as you remember to keep pumping it snow becomes water presto change o!  Side note: did you know you can burn snow?  If you heat just snow in a pot the pot burns and the resulting water tastes like burnt pot.  
  After another couple hundred yard hike we arrive at our camp.  A few hours and we know how to storm proof  things and the instructors head off to the warmth of the I-hut.  By now we have been outside about eight hours at three degrees.  Constant eating, drinking, and movement is key to staying warm!  At this point I can enjoy watching the lazy people who don't pitch in and help get cold!  We construct a kitchen to keep the wind off the camp stoves and a wall to protect the tents.  This snow is great for building walls and such.  After the camp prep is done I can begin my snow trench.  I had promised that it would be palatial with gargoyles and spires.  After about three hours of digging I had a nice deep trench and my aspirations had moved to creating something warm.  Another hour I had a roof and felt rather pleased with myself.  Most of the camp is asleep in their tents haha fools!  I have a warm trench to sleep in!
  At this point take not of a few things.  First my beard is full of ice and awesome!  My water is frozen even though it was inside my fleece.  I skipped the dehydrated dinner provided and ate some lovely mostly frozen spam!  Also note my Dr. Pepper was also mostly frozen.  Boiling water added to frozen soda makes a warming treat.  I wandered over to watch the Swedish fish scientists build their igloo.  In hindsight at the point I was a bit low on food, water, and have not moved in a few hours.  Bedtime!
  My huge snow trench now seems a bit tight with a roof on it.  I would have preferred to get my gear set up before I roofed it, but that would have covered my sleeping bag in snow.  So, now I am trying to get set up in this tiny cold space. Anything I do covers me and my bag in snow. The old problem arises with gloves on I don't have the dexterity to take off my boots, without my hands are so cold, so cold!  Prepare for me to broken record that a bit.  Boots and coat off I manage to get into my liner and bag without to much snow getting in there with me.  My left hand is frozen and I break open my first set of hand warmers... duds!  Hands into armpits, nice and toasty!  At this point I realize I should have spent more time smoothing out the floor, and as I pull the bag's hood over my head It stops short.  Also it is icy cold.  This cycle repeats for a couple hours.  I eat more, drink a frozen Dr. Pepper, and do sit-ups, nothing works!  Now the worst thing you can do is put your head inside the bag because your breath eventually soaks you and freezes.  The good thing at this point is I only have to kill three more hours.  I am very glad I stayed up to watch the Swedes and avoided   several hours of cold sleep.  About three am I find a comfortable position where I can scrunch into the bag and cover my head finding a small opening to breath through.  I am almost warm!
  Morning rolls around and it is piercing cold.  I manage to worm my way up the stairs pop open the roof/door and enter the sunshine.  Did you notice that my snow palace has both a door and stairs?  At this point I am still in my sleeping bag because there is no room to reboot. Now the rest of the day is pretty standard.  Tear down the camp and then.... six more hours of training.  Huzzah I can ride in helicopters!  I make it home have a dinner. In bed by seven, and I wake up the next day at nine!  I'm a new man with the exception of a crick in the neck from poor sleeping position.  This feels anticlimactic....

No comments:

Post a Comment